Storyglass, the scripted podcast label from Fremantle, is set to work with Golden Globe winning actress Joanne Froggatt (Liar, Downton Abbey) on its latest fiction series, The Harrowing.
Joanne takes the lead as Sergeant Jackie O’Hara in this supernatural thriller written by acclaimed writer, adaptor and games performance director Mark Healy.
A remote island, north west of the Scottish mainland, Easter 2019. In an isolated farmhouse a family lies slain. Their daughter, left untouched, is found wandering the hills, lost and bewildered. As a once-in-a-generation storm gathers on the horizon and the girl is taken into protective custody, a mysterious stranger is seen watching the darkening skies near the crime scene. He is arrested by Sergeant Jackie O’Hara, but when questioned refuses to give his name and repeatedly warns of a coming evil. The next morning Jackie finds his cell empty. The stranger is gone. And so is the girl.
The Harrowing tells the story of the devastating events that occur on the Isle of Toll Mòr over five days between Holy Wednesday and Easter Sunday, as recounted by the only survivor – Sergeant O’Hara. It tracks the rise of an ancient evil and the battle for survival as a terrifying power takes over the island. Full of dark foreboding, eerie soundscapes and startling revelations, The Harrowing is a crime series that gradually shifts genre to become a disturbing supernatural horror.
Joanne Froggatt commented: “It was an absolute pleasure to work on this dark, supernatural thriller. The pull between good and evil, and heaven and hell sets the tone for this incredible story. I hope you enjoy listening to The Harrowing as much as we enjoyed making it.”
Storyglass Creative Director, Robert Delamere said: “This is a remarkable story for our times – an eight-part fiction thriller about a community under assault from an unseen force. It’s both a brilliant genre-splicing fusion of crime and horror and a daring tonal mixture of ancient evil and contemporary isolation, all delivered by a world-class cast.”
Joanne Froggatt is joined by a full cast of:
- Rosalind Eleazar (The Personal History of David Copperfield, Deep Water, Rellik)
- Adam James (Vigil, Belgravia, Doctor Foster)
- Sorcha Groundsell (The Innocents, Clique, Grantchester)
- Stuart Martin (Jamestown, Medici, Miss Scarlet and the Duke)
- Alec Newman (Call The Midwife, Strikeback and The Last Kingdom)
- Regé-Jean Page (Bridgerton, For The People, Roots)
- Stewart Scudamore (Carnival Row, Good Omens, The Great)
- Tom Crowley (The Royals, Wooden Overcoats podcast)
- Alex Graydon (The Romanoffs)
- Lewis Howden (Shetland, Hope Springs, Taggart)
- Blair Kincaid (The Witcher, Wild Rose, Sunshine on Leith)
- Hilary Maclean (Torchwood, Outlander, Lip Service)
- Scarlett Maltman (The Great)
- Jamie Michie (Deadwater Fell, Back to Life)
The series is produced by Ben Walker and Executive Produced by Sarah Doole (Director of Global Drama, Fremantle) and Robert Delamere.